Are you looking to work on challenging projects, with a diverse and motivated team, while building technology that can change the world? Do you want to join an award winning startup in their scale-up phase? Do you want to give students all over the world access to a prosperous future? Do you want to work with large distributed systems, machine learning, web crawling, and other interesting technology?
Wizenoze is a growth-stage startup building software that enables students to find content online that matches their interests and abilities. Our mission is to help close the global Readability Gap. You’ll be responsible for envisioning, developing, and testing products that will improve how students discover and interact with the online world. Read more here about our mission.
We’re looking for a Devops Engineer with 6+ years experience in AWS, Java, Spring, REST APIs, Elasticsearch, and other web tech based in Amsterdam or remote within the +-2 GMT timezones. You need to be curious and passionate with a drive to continually improve yourself, your craft, your code, and your colleagues. You need to hold yourself and your peers to the highest standards to deliver the best quality products possible! You must not be complacent, and must keeping working to improve your craft and skills. You must be able to step outside your role to work on requirements, deal with customers, and think holistically about our systems, processes, and people; always with a view to improving efficiency and long-term maintainability and quality.
You need to be available during core hours 10:00-16:00 in CET/CEST. We don't offer visa sponsorship or relocation.
No visa sponsorship or relocation.
We are an international team of educators, scientists, and developers in child-computer interaction and machine learning. We love proactiveness, ownership, and flexibility. Our HQ is in Amsterdam, our strategic office is in London but we come from all over the world: South Africa, Nigeria, India, the UK, and the Netherlands. We work as a distributed team with plenty of remote work support via Asana, Hangouts, Slack, Miro, Notion, etc. Our development team is smart, small and close-knit, making communication easy without an overload of process and management. We have lots of combined experience and do not settle for mediocre code. We focus on agile development, automated testing, and continuous deployment to get code to customers as quickly as possible while maintaining the highest quality.
- infrastructure management
- designing, building, automating, configuring, maintaining, documenting, and monitoring highly-scalable APIs and distributed systems in Groovy/Java with Spring, Hazelcast, MySQL/PostgreSQL, AWS, etc.
- maintaining and improving CI/CD pipelines
- automation implementation at all levels from employee onboarding to standing up infrastructure
- ensuring security through monitoring, network setup, employee management, coordinating pentests, coding standards, etc.
- ongoing monitoring and improving of alerting with Prometheus/Grafana, Sentry, AWS, etc.
- load testing and tuning systems & architecture, and assisting developers in code improvements
- troubleshoot and solve issues in development, testing, and production
- optimising and automating processes
Your abilities and skills
- Fluent in English. At least C2-level reading, writing, and speaking. Communication is key
- 6+ years experience designing, building, configuring, automating, delivering, monitoring, and maintaining production-level distributed systems
- Deep AWS and distributed systems knowledge and experience
- Devops techniques like continuous integration and delivery, zero-downtime deployments, clustering, queues, failover, redundancy, automated and validated backups, etc.
- Strong understanding of networking in AWS with VPC, VPN, security groups, etc. with an eye on security at all times
- IAM proficiency to make sure employees only have as much access as they need
- Systems administration on Linux
- Bash and python scripting. Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Java and Groovy development experience is a huge plus, as is Spring, Hazelcast, etc. knowledge
- Be able to communicate effectively with team members, but also be able to solve difficult problems on your own with perseverance and tenacity
- Prove that you’re continually working to improve your skills and knowledge, by raising the standards for your own systems, designs, and code constantly, and by reading and learning from books, courses, and peers
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating on designs remotely using diagrams, video conferencing, instant messaging, prototypes, etc.
- Friendly and helpful to tech and non-tech team members.
- Startup experience
- Remote work and collaboration experience
- Apache Storm
- Instrumenting code for Prometheus, etc. using Micrometer, etc.
- Application performance monitoring implementation
- Curious. Able to learn and apply new concepts and tools rapidly
- Pragmatic. Choose the practical path to delivering a product without getting lost in fancy new technologies or techniques
- Attention to detail. Every line of code should be crafted well and understood thoroughly. No copy/paste coding without understanding allowed
- Perseverance. Able to solve difficult problems without giving up and expecting someone else to take over
- Take pride in your work. You should be proud to put high quality software in front of users. Software you’ve tested thoroughly yourself
- Take responsibility for your work throughout its life cycle from requirements to delivery and maintenance
- High degree of personal responsibility over designated duties. Step outside your role if needed to get the job done well
- Consistent and organised
- Timely and eloquent communicator
- Focused on helping the team win, before personal gain
- Open to receiving objective criticism and improving upon it
- Like to work in a startup environment
NB: No recruiters or companies. We only deal with individuals.
Please apply for this job by sending your resume, a brief cover letter, and your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Devops engineer”.