NB: No recruiters or companies. We only deal with individuals.
Are you looking to work on challenging projects, with a motivated team, while building technology that can change the world? Do you want to join an award winning startup in their scale-up phase? Do you want to give students all over the world access to a prosperous future? Do you want to work with large distributed systems, machine learning, web crawling, and other interesting technology?
Wizenoze is a growth-stage startup building software that enables students to find content online that matches their interests and abilities. Our mission is to help close the global Readability Gap. You’ll be responsible for envisioning, developing, and testing products that will improve how students discover and interact with the online world. Read more here about our mission.
We’re looking for a senior Java backend and devops engineer with 10+ years experience in Java, Spring, REST APIs, Elasticsearch, and other web tech based in Amsterdam or remote within the +-2 GMT timezones. You need to be curious and passionate with a drive to continually improve yourself, your craft, your code, and your colleagues. You need to hold yourself and your peers to the highest standards to deliver the best quality products possible! You must not be complacent, and must keeping working to improve your craft and skills. You must be able to step outside your role to work on requirements, deal with customers, and think holistically about our systems, processes, and people; always with a view to improving efficiency and long-term maintainability and quality.
We are an international team of educators, scientists, and developers in child-computer interaction and machine learning. We love proactiveness, ownership, and flexibility. Our HQ is in Amsterdam, our strategic office is in London but we come from all over the world: South Africa, Nigeria, India, the UK, and the Netherlands. We work as a distributed team with plenty of remote work support via Asana, Hangouts, Slack, Miro, Notion, etc. Our development team is smart, small and close-knit, making communication easy without an overload of process and management. We have lots of combined experience and do not settle for mediocre code. We focus on agile development, automated testing, and continuous deployment to get code to customers as quickly as possible while maintaining the highest quality.
What do we offer?
- Access to the latest technology and algorithms (e.g. from academia);
- Work on an innovative product that will be used internationally;
- Work with experienced and innovative engineers and a professional team;
- An excellent growth perspective;
- A technically innovative company with multiple opportunities;
- A flexible working environment;
- An office in downtown Amsterdam;
- Well-supported remote work with Slack, Github, Asana, Meet/Zoom, Notion, Miro, Jenkins CI, AWS, etc. tools.
- 60% devops and 40% backend development
- keeping our cloud-based architecture running smoothly on AWS through automation, monitoring, and systems design.
- building and maintaining highly-scalable APIs in Java with Spring;
- making academic algorithms perform at a commercial level using state of the art machine learning and natural language processing;
- improving our web crawler and integrations with client content;
- enhancing our search engine based on Elasticsearch;
- mentoring and coaching other developers on code quality and architecture;
Your abilities and skills:
- Fluent in English
- 10+ years proven experience delivering and maintaining production software
- Proven ability to ace the entire product life cycle: from requirements, through design and development, to testing and production deployment
- Show how you’ve built open source or commercial products from the ground up on your own or as a team lead/architect. It’s not enough to have just been part of a team, we need to see that you had a pivotal role to play in many projects.
- Be able to communicate effectively with team members, but also be able to solve difficult problems on your own with perseverance and tenacity
- Prove that you’re continually working to improve your skills and knowledge, by raising the standards for your own designs and code constantly, and by reading and learning from books, courses, and peers
- Prove that you can write high quality code with deep thought given to performance, concurrency, maintenance and other issues. No “but it worked on my machine” allowed, or code that you wouldn’t be happy to work on again in a year’s time
- Writing web backends in Java with Spring, RDBMS, Elasticsearch, etc. on an AWS stack.
- REST API development. HTTP, JSON, etc.
- Used to development workflows with git and github.
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating on designs remotely using diagrams, video conferencing, instant messaging, prototypes, etc.
- Linux administration and shell scripting.
- Friendly and helpful to tech and non-tech team members.
- Must be able to think of edge cases and errors to be able to write good unit and integration tests, and to test by hand to make sure new code is production-ready.
- Any other languages: Groovy, Bash, Python, etc.
- JPA, Hibernate, Flyway
- REST APIs
- Apache Storm
- Devops techniques like continuous integration and delivery, zero-downtime deployments, clustering, queues, failover, redundancy, automated and validated backups, etc. See 12factor.net.
- Managing multiple environments such as production, staging, load testing, etc.
- Monitoring, alerts, error reporting and metrics. Prometheus, Grafana, Graylog, etc.
- Amazon Web Services:
- Elastic Beanstalk
- IAM, security groups, bastion hosts
- Curious. Able to learn and apply new concepts and tools rapidly
- Pragmatic. Choose the practical path to delivering a product without getting lost in fancy new technologies or techniques
- Attention to detail. Every line of code should be crafted well and understood thoroughly. No copy/paste coding allowed
- Perseverance. Able to solve difficult problems without giving up and expecting someone else to take over
- Take pride in your work. You should be proud to put high quality software in front of users. Software you’ve tested thoroughly yourself
- Take responsibility for your work throughout its life cycle from requirements to delivery and maintenance
- High degree of personal responsibility over designated duties. Step outside your role if needed to get the job done well
- Consistent and organised
- Timely and eloquent communicator
- Focused on helping the team win, before personal gain
- Open to receiving objective criticism and improving upon it
- Like to work in a startup environment
NB: No recruiters or companies. We only deal with individuals.
Please apply for this job by sending your resume, a brief cover letter, and your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Senior Java backend and devops engineer IARTP”.