NB: No recruiters or body shops. We only deal with individuals
Wizenoze aims to change the way learners worldwide get access to information on the internet. We develop software that helps learners discover information that matches their interests and abilities. Using our products, students have demonstrated improved learning outcomes. Come and join us in creating the best products to unlock the full potential of each and every learner.
Wizenoze is an award-winning startup in its scale-up phase. Our best asset is our team. We are a diverse mix of smart people from 8 nationalities with backgrounds in education, technology, science and commerce. We work with motivated individuals who all enjoy a high degree of responsibility and independence in structuring their work.
Our technology needs to collect and analyse content from the web and turn it into usable pieces of information that help students worldwide achieve their goals. We are looking for scientists and engineers who bring fresh ideas from areas like information retrieval, artificial intelligence, and natural language processing to build and improve our algorithms.
Your responsibilities and duties
- Identify and solve key technical questions and issues related to our content collection, crawling, ranking and text classification technology
- Individually contribute and conduct research on new algorithms for current and future Wizenoze technology, including design and implementation of these algorithms
- Evaluate new and existing IR, ML and NLP algorithms. Using standard test collections where available or creating our own test collections and strategies when necessary
- Develop prototypes quickly and write back-end code to turn them into robust and scalable production applications
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained
- PhD in Information retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, or related field
- Strong analytical skills
- Clear evidence of innovation, creativity and a positive thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (Knowledge of Dutch and other languages is a bonus)
- International scientific publication record
- Demonstrated experience with Java (1-3 years). Writing production web backends in Java
- API development. REST, HTTP, JSON, etc.
- Preferably experience with search in an education/learning setting
- Preferably post-doctoral experience in a business-to-business environment
- Curious. Able to learn and apply new concepts and tools rapidly
- Attention to detail
- Take pride in your work
- Take responsibility for your work throughout its lifecycle
- High degree of personal responsibility over designated duties
- Consistent and organised
- Timely and eloquent communicator
- Focused on helping the team win, before personal gain
- Open to receiving objective criticism and improving upon it
- Like to work in a startup environment
- Passion for science, technology and education
We aim to create an environment in which every employee can thrive and unlock their full potential. You will have a great deal of autonomy and will be able to impact the lives of learners worldwide. The company culture is open and non-hierarchical; we value everyone’s input and opinion. At Wizenoze you will be working in an award-winning start-up. We have been awarded multiple times for our societal impact and our potential to disrupt.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to anyone of the things that make you who you are – your gender, race, sexuality, or religion. All you need is a passion for education and technology and a desire to impact the way people learn.
What we offer
- Work with experienced and innovative engineers and diverse team of professionals;
- Work on state of the art technology with a societal impact;
- Contribute to the education experience of learners world wide;
- An excellent growth perspective;
- A flexible working environment;
- An office in downtown Amsterdam;
- Well-supported remote work with Slack, Github, Asana, Miro, Google meet, Jenkins CI, AWS, Sentry, etc. tools.
Please apply for this job by sending your resume, a brief cover letter, and your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Applied Scientist”.
NB: No recruiters or body shops. We only deal with individuals.